Alert – Three Vehicle Thefts Last Night
Please be advised that we have been told by a Toronto Police officer that three Lexus vehicles were stolen last night (the night of August 24 – 25) one from Elm within SAHRA’s boundaries, one from Felbrigg and one from Esgore. This follows three auto thefts in July. If your vehicle opens and starts with a key fob, it seems to be more susceptible to theft.
We would like to remind you of a number of preventive measures you can take. These were previously outlined in our eBlast from July 5, 2020:
- Park in the garage, if possible.
- Strategically park vehicles in the driveway (less valuable vehicle blocking the more valuable).
- Store your key fob in the middle of your house, in a signal-blocking container [such as a faraday bag].
- Never leave your vehicle running and unattended.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle (such as a steering wheel locking device).
- Install a flood light to brighten your driveway.
- Point any cameras in the direction of your driveway.
- Avoid leaving valuables in the vehicle.
- Avoid leaving garage door remotes in your vehicle overnight.
A tracking system in the vehicle will not prevent a theft, however it may greatly assist police in recovering your vehicle and apprehending the thieves.
One of our members has suggested taking the battery out of your key fob each night.
And from our eBlast of July 22, 2020:
Auto theft continues to be prevalent across the City of Toronto as well as other parts of Canada. On July 15th, CTV featured a report showing how thieves gain access to locked cars using a computer relay to your key fob. A link can be found below for the article together with a video showing the crime in action. Toronto Police are suggesting moving your key fob into the interior of your home or storing it in a faraday bag. Faraday bags are available at most security stores or online.