2018 Municipal Election
The 2018 Municipal Election is scheduled for October 22, 2018.
In many respects, municipal governments are the level of government closest to the people. Their actions affect us daily be it through the provision of transit, fire and police services; water, sewage and garbage collection; or defining how development proceeds within our city.
SAHRA believes that having a strong councillor voice will be critical for the future of our community. As a result, we encourage everyone to take the time to learn about the candidates and most importantly, vote on Election Day.
In the coming weeks, we will send out eBlasts with updates to help ensure SAHRA members have access to election-related information. As well, the new website will be launched shortly and it will be updated regularly for Municipal Election issues.
What our new Ward 8 (Eglinton-Lawrence) needs in a councillor…
- A FACILITATOR. Someone who is responsive to and works with constituents and residents’ associations in matters affecting the Ward.
- An ADVOCATE. Someone who understands residents’ issues and priorities and can convincingly present them to City Council.
- A SPOKESPERSON. Someone who is recognized across the city and beyond as a credible voice for the constituents of the Ward.
- A VISIONARY. Someone who considers the complex issues that face our Ward and city, and develops positive solutions.
- An ACHIEVER. Someone with initiative who works hard to make positive things happen for the community.
In the coming weeks, as you consider the various candidates, we hope you keep these attributes in mind.
Two Meet the Candidates Meetings have been booked for our Ward. We hope that you will be able to attend one of them to make your views known and hear what your candidates for City Council have to say.
The first meeting was held on Sunday, Sept 16, 2018 at Fairlawn United Church. Candidates Jennifer Arp, Christin Carmichael Greb, Mike Colle, LauraLyn Johnston, Beth Levy and Dyanoosh Youssefi addressed the audience for 8 minutes followed by Meet and Greet time with the individual candidates. Toronto District School Board Trustee candidates were also on hand to meet with the residents.
The second Meet the Candidates Meeting will be held on Oct 2.
- Tuesday, Oct 2, 2018 7:00-9:00 p.m. Organized by Lytton Park Residents’ Organization at Eglinton St. George’s United Church, 35 Lytton Blvd