- History & Street Names
- Did You Know?
- About the Canadian Forces College
- The Toronto Cricket, Skating and Curling Club
- The Jolly Miller/Miller Tavern
- History and Tradition of Loretto Abbey
- Toronto Historical Maps Outline
- Historical Presentations at the 2011 Jane’s Walk about Hoggs Hollow
History & Street Names
Yonge St. Once appearing in the Guiness Book of Records as the longest street in the world, Yonge St.is one of Toronto’s principal streets and home to Canada’s first subway. It follows an ancient trail north from Lake Ontario. Developed by John Graves Simcoe and named for his friend Sir George Yonge who was an English MP and British Secretary at War.
Avenue Rd. Rumor has it that Avenue Rd. was named by Scottish Construction workers who arrived at the site and proclaimed “let’s ave a new road here”. It is more likely to be named for its tree lined character.
Armour Heights Armour is a Scottish and English family name originating in the former county of Berwickshire (now part of the Scottish Borders). Earliest record of this family name in Scotland is 1297. Descendent Jean Armour was Robert Burns’ sweetheart! Armour Heights was named after John Armour who settled in the area in the 1830’s. The Armour family sold their farm to Col. F.B. Robins who planned the neighbourhood in 1911. The Canadian Forces College campus sits on the site of Col. Robins’ country estate, which he called Strathrobyn, with the Armour Heights Officers’ Mess now occupying the magnificent home that he built in 1914.
The original developer of the “Ridley Park” area south of Wilson, Frederick Burton Robins, named various streets in the development after his favourite places in the UK and close friends. Armour Heights, Ridley Park and the Yonge Blvd area was collectively known as the “Highlands of Toronto”.
Felbrigg Avenue gets its name from Felbrigg Hall in the UK, one of the most elegant country houses in East Anglia (Norwich, Norfolk). The rolling landscape park with a lake, 520 acres of woods and waymarked trails is a great place to explore the nature and wildlife on this bountiful estate. www.nationaltrust.org.uk/felbrigg-hall/.
Ridley Blvd was named after Lord Matthew Ridley, Third Viscount, England (1902-64). Was known for his love of sports cars; his Alfa Romeos were a familiar sight on roads and race tracks in the north-east. A capable engineer, he set up an engineering works on the estate where he designed and build a “baby-car” that notched up a world speed record at the Brooklands Race Track in 1931. Inherited Blagdon estate (8500 acres) in Northumberland, the family fortunes having been laid in the 18th century by Matthew White, a prosperous Newcastle coal merchant who acquired the estate from the Fenwick family in 1700, having married Jane Fenwick.
Did You Know?
The Glendale Theatre
The Glendale Theater opened December,1947 at the corner of Cranbrooke Ave and Avenue Road. The Glendale’s big curved screen was perfect for maxi-screen “Cinerama” and was advertised as “The biggest brightest Cinerama screen in Canada!”. The Glendale was home for long runs of movies – 2001: A Space Odyssey showed for several years. The theatre’s last movie was The Godfather Part 2. The Glendale was torn down in 1975 when it became a Ford car dealership. It is now Avenue Nissan.
The Boyd Gang
Edwin Alonzo Boyd worked for the Toronto Transportation Commission after he returned home from the war operating streetcars on the Yonge line. On September 9, 1949 he robbed a North Toronto Bank of Montreal which is now the Left Bank Bistro in our neighbourhood. He was captured two years later after another bank robbery and was sent to the Don Jail to await sentencing. There he met Leonard Jackson and Willie Jackson (no relation). The trio escaped early November 1951. They were joined by Steve Suchan and the foursome now called the Boyd Gang continued to rob banks. On March 6, Suchan shot and killed Police Sergeant Tong and the Boyd Gang was apprehended by the Police. On September 8, 1952 the Boyd Gang escaped from the Don Jail again and after eight days were captured in a barn near Finch and Leslie Ave. Steve Suchan and Lennie Jackson were both hung for the murder of Sargeant Tong. Edwin Boyd and William Jackson served lengthy jail terms. Boyd was released after serving fourteen years and moved to British Columbia where he died of pneumonia May 16, 2002.
About the Canadian Forces College
The Canadian Forces College marked its 65th Anniversary at Armour Heights in Oct, 2008. Founded in 1943 as the RCAF War Staff College, it has undergone several stages of reorganization that reflect the evolution of the professional development of Canadian military officers.
After the war, in 1945, it was designated as the RCAF Staff College. In 1962, the Staff College became a component of the Air Force College that also included a Headquarters, a Staff School and an Extension School. The latter was operated jointly with the University of Toronto Extension Department from 1963 to 1974. As a result of unification of an integration of the Armed Forces in 1974, a new course was designed to meet the requirements of a unified force structure. In 1966, it was introduced as part of the curriculum of the re-designated Canadian Forces College. Following the Officer Development Board Report of 1969, further modifications were made and, in 1974, the Staff College was converted to the Command and Staff Course which now exists. In 1998, the CFC’s role was expanded, as two new courses were inaugurated: the Advanced Military Studies Course for the Sept-Dec period, followed by the National Securities Studies Course from Jan to June. The two courses are independent, and some senior officers attend the courses in sequence.
It is fitting that the College site at Armour Heights has been associated with military aeronautics and civilian aviation. Adjacent to the present college property, an airfield was built in 1917 as a training base for the Royal Flying Corps. In 1918, it was used by the School of Special Flying to train Royal Flying Corp instructors in newly developed techniques of flight instruction. In 1919, it was occupied by Bishop-Barker Aeroplanes Limited, a commercial venture of two distinguished combat pilots, William Avery Bishop and William George Barker.
The College was first housed in the present-day Officers’ Mess, with its adjoining garage and converted stables; these facilities were originally rented and finally purchased by the RCAF in 1946. This stately mansion was built in 1914 as a private residence for Colonel F.B. Robins, Honorary Colonel of the Toronto Scottish Regiment. The College was expanded with the construction of Curtis Hall in 1952 and its enlargements in 1961 and 1973.
Existing temporary structures were removed in 1988 after the completion of Burns Hall, which houses the students’ wing and an outstanding military library, the Air Vice-Marshal K.L.B. Hodson Memorial Library. In 1998, a third floor and the Rowley Auditorium were added to the north wing of Curtis Hall to accommodate newly-established advanced courses. The Ralston Residence, with 96 suites, was completed in Oct. 1999. Construction of an extension to Curtis and Burns Halls were begun in the Fall of 2001 and completed in Spring, 2002. The extension, DeWolf Hall provides additional office space, an expansion to the library and facilities for exercise support and war-gaming.
The Officers’ Mess/Quarters is a recognized Federal Heritage building 1991 on the Register of the Government of Canada Heritage Buildings. The Canadian Forces Staff School for junior officers, formerly located at 1107 Avenue Road, was determined to be redundant and closed in 1994, and the property was later sold to the Toronto Catholic District School Board.
Extracted from http://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/124/273-eng.html
Powerpoint Presentation at the CFC Tour as part of SAHRA’s Jane’s Walk on May 4, 2013:
The Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club
Prepared by Edgar A. Bracht. Published with the permission of The Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club.
Brief History of the TCSCC – Edited 2012 (for a PDF version of the following)
A Brief History of The Toronto Cricket Club
At the turn of the 18th century cricket was in its infancy as a sport in North America. Basketball and baseball had not evolved yet and lacrosse was a game played by native Canadians only.
The regiments from England had brought cricket to North America playing at their garrisons, with the first recorded matches played in Ile St Helene (Montreal) and in Kingston, but civilians had not yet organized themselves to play the game. At this time horse racing was a popular sport with the people of the day.
When George Anthony Barber and Thomas Phillips arrived from Britain in 1825 as a new master and principal, respectively, at the newly established Royal Grammar School located on Adelaide and Jarvis Streets, Barber found a cleared area on the property and converted it to a rustic cricket pitch. Barber was a superb organizer and a fanatic cricketer, so he immediately set out to form a cricket team from amongst the teachers, many who had come from England, and the student body. This was the first civilian team in Upper Canada.
George Anthony Barber is considered the father of Canadian cricket and the founder of the Toronto Cricket Club. In a book published in 1893 George Dickson notes “ GAB was far more than just the father of Canadian cricket. He was a midwife, patron saint, lucky charm, team founder, captain, instructor, promoter – he was a one man committee of enormous vitality, inexhaustible enthusiasm, and bottomless optimism”. He was an organizer extraordinaire who delighted in imposing order upon chaos and through his determination nurtured and grew cricket and the Club throughout the early years. Barber later became the collector of fees for Upper Canada College (UCC), editor and publisher of the Toronto Herald and later held many administrative positions in government of Upper Canada.
About this time another cricket ground was built on the corner of a racetrack on the Humber River, which today is Lambton Golf Club, and hosted matches between Barber’s team and local military regiments. In 1827 Barber, who taught mathematics and penmanship, set out to write a set of rules or bylaws for his Club and elected officers to run the club. He called it the York Cricket Club after the name of the existing town.
In 1829 John Colborne or “Lord Seaton” Lieutenant Governor of Upper Canada established a new school – Upper Canada College – located at King and Simcoe Streets. He brought five new teachers from England to the new school, and enticed several masters, including Barber, and students from the local Royal Grammar School to join. Colbourne advocated physical development as well as academic education and consequently ardently supported cricket not only at the school but also amongst the gentry. Cricket clubs began springing up throughout York and cricket along with horse racing flourished.
The York Cricket Club, which included a number of UCC students, moved to the Upper Canada College grounds and became the prominent team of its time. In 1834 the town of York, after 38 years being called York, reverted to its original Inuit name of Toronto and the Club similarly adopted the town’s new name. In 1836 UCC formed its own team and shared the ground with the Toronto Cricket Club. The annual match between UCC and Toronto Cricket Club, which commenced that year, has continued ever since and is the longest running sporting competition in North America.
When Canada and the United States met for the first time at cricket in New York in 1844 the team included eight Toronto Cricket Club members. This sporting encounter known as the International Series for the K. A. Auty Trophy is the oldest international athletic contest in the world predating the America’s Cup (1851), the Ashes (1882), the Modern Olympics (1896) and various famous horse races.
Cricket and horse racing were popular activities of that era and when William Boulton, a young master at UCC, inherited property at the Grange (College and McCaul Streets) in the outskirts of Toronto, he build yet another racetrack and a cricket ground. The ground was christened “The Taddle” after a nearby creek and the Toronto Cricket Club found a home until the turn of the century.
During the last half of the 19th century cricket prospered in the eastern seaboard, particularly in Philadelphia, New York, Montreal and Toronto where elegant cricket clubs were built and still exist today. This was the “Golden Age” of cricket in North America. The leading cricket teams of the day played in these cities, and considerable amounts were wagered on the outcome of the matches. Gambling on cricket became so severe that the United States Congress enacted laws to curtail it and in so doing, game’s popularity in the US declined. However, cricket remained popular in Canada. In 1867 Canada’s first Prime Minister, Sir John A. MacDonald, and his cabinet, declared cricket the national sport of Canada. By this time a pitch had been laid at Rideau Hall, now the official residence of the Governor General of Canada.
In the mid-1890s the growth of the Toronto towards College Street lead to the development of surrounding area and forced the Club to move across the street to the University of Toronto campus. Matches were first played on the front campus, then moved to a field that was, until recently, Varsity Stadium, and eventually to the back campus under the auspices of Trinity College.
The Club became a vagabond club until in the early 1920s a group of benevolent cricketers lead by Norman Seagram came to the rescue. Norm Seagram was one of the most prominent and generous players of the time. Other members of the group included George W. Gooderham, Edward F. Seagram, Thomas W. Seagram and Robert A Laidlaw. With great foresight the group purchased from the Kendrick Land Company a parcel of land in the outskirts of Toronto near the Armour Estate at Wilson Avenue and Avenue Road for $40,880 and built a cricket pitch and clubhouse for and additional $24,495.
On January 10, 1928 these gentlemen created a trust for the purpose of holding the land through Cricket Development Limited, with the trust maintaining control of its use and its eventual disposition. Five independent schools that were active in cricket were named beneficiaries of the trust. The five schools are: Upper Canada College, Trinity College School, St. Andrews College, Ridley College and Appleby College. It is through the strength of this trust that cricket is maintained and flourishes at the Toronto Cricket Club to this day.
The Club struggled financially during the thirties and forties but deficits were met through the generosity of Norman Seagram and later by the sale of lots around the perimeter of the ground adjoining Saunders Street and Ridley Boulevard.
Many prominent cricketers have been involved with the Club throughout its history but one in individual deserves particular recognition. Dyce Saunders was a great player and significant contributor to the operations of the Club. The north-south street just east of the Club is named in his honour.
In the mid-1950s the Club continued to experience financial difficulties. The Toronto Skating Club located on Dupont Street needed more space for their famous ice shows. Each Club was a seasonal, one winter the other summer, so it made sense that they should join forces and operate as a full-year club. Informal negotiations began on the Cricket Club verandah in 1954, but it wasn’t until 1955 that the Boards of the respective Clubs began serious merger negotiations. A year later, just as the agreement was to be signed, the Toronto Curling Club’s property located on Huron Street was expropriated by the University of Toronto and joined the merger, thus becoming the third amalgamation member. The merger and building of the new facility were completed in 1957.
The basic principles of the new arrangement were that The Cricket Club supplied, free and clear of all claims, approximately 3.5 acres of freehold land on which the existing clubhouse, tennis courts, and swimming pool are located. The balance of the Club’s property – 9 acres of land consisting of the present cricket field, the two hard tennis courts and a 67 foot right of way through the parking lot – is leased from Cricket Development Limited on a 99-year renewable contract.
The Cricket Club, which included both tennis and lawn bowling sections, provided the property, and the two other clubs provided funding. The amalgamating parties obtained professional opinions from qualified appraisers and from these established that the value of the land was $125,000. It was an essential aspect of the arrangement with the Trustees of the original 1928 Trust that the new arrangements not deplete the assets of the Trust. It was therefore agreed that aside from other facets of amalgamation there would have to be established a sum of $125,000 payable to Cricket Development Limited, the holding company for the Trust. To avoid any possibility that the debt obligation could impose operational burden to the new Club, the Trust agreed to accept a non-interest bearing $125,000 promissory note that would not mature unless the Club ceased to carry on business.
Each of the amalgamating clubs brought with it some “corporate” baggage that had to be dealt with before amalgamation could proceed. The Cricket Trust, which controls the title to the ground, was the most difficult and caused considerable problems to this process. It was through the understanding and approval of the independent schools as trust beneficiaries, that a part of the property was severed and contributed to the newly amalgamated club under a new 1956 Trust. This proved to be a major undertaking.
Similarly, the Skating Club in addition to their entity of their operating club had an entity called The Winter Club that had long-standing rights and these had to be settled prior to amalgamation.
The Toronto Curling Club also had a side entity, The Victoria Skating and Curling Association of Toronto Limited, which needed financial protection. This was covered by the promise that in the event of a Club wind-up, 37% of the remaining net assets of the amalgamated club would be payable to this entity.
The order of the names in the new amalgamated club was decided by the cricketing tradition of tossing a coin to determine which team bats first. Robert Suckling representing cricket and Sandy McKechnie representing skating tossed the coin, with the decision going to cricket, and thus cricket precedes skating in the new name. Curling joined the amalgamation later, after the toss, and is accordingly sequenced third.
The building of the new club facilities ran into financial difficulties with construction cost overruns, which required compromises from all parties. The Cricket Club wanted squash courts; the skaters wanted a Zamboni, which was state of the art then; and the curlers more sheets of ice. A cricket member provided an interest-free loan, which allowed the architects to include two squash courts. Some other architectural cuts were made allowing the skaters to get the Zamboni but not the structure to house it. The Curling Club joining the amalgamation during the last year provided more capital permitting the additional sheets of ice.
The property owned by Cricket Development Limited is leased to the amalgamated club on a 99 year term expiring on December 31, 2055. The Club pays an annual rent of $150, and is responsible for the payment of all taxes and fees, and the maintenance of the property and grounds and equipment. A prime covenant of the Trust requires that the conveyed premises must be maintained in good condition suitable for playing of cricket and other sports (curling, figure skating, squash, tennis lawn bowls, and sports approved by the Canadian Intercollegiate Athletic Union), with the added provision that cricket shall be given priority, including the requirement to offer fee concessions, if necessary, to attract cricket additional members in order to keep cricket active.
The amalgamation of the three clubs has been a resounding success. Each club brought its share of history and fame and this has solidified and complemented the relationships of the Club, as we know it today. Curling gained notoriety with the development of uniform rocks; skating with its production of carnivals and a parade of Olympic and world champions and cricket as the established Canadian home to cricket and the place where major international matches have been played for over 175 years.
The date of the founding of the Club was for a time contentious. Was it 1825 when Barber first formed the first civilian team? Was it 1827 when the bylaws were written and constituted? Was it 1834 when the Club adopted the new name Toronto following the change of the name of the city?
Following the inaugural meeting of the Club in 1827, someone realized the importance of the organizing document placed it in safe keeping and the document did not surface until 1927 when the Club’s bylaws were rewritten. The discovery of this document provided evidence that 1927 marked the 100th anniversary of the Club. This document remained in the Club’s archives at the Wilson Avenue location. Unfortunately these archives and other records were lost in a fire that destroyed part of the clubhouse in March 1952.
 I would like to thank Marion Spence the archivist at Upper Canada College, Kevin Boller a cricket historian and friend and Ron Burrows, the driving force behind the amalgamation and my mentor in my early years at the Club, for their input.
 Edited lightly in December 2012 by John Ilkiw for posting on SAHRA website. John Ilkiw is a Director of SAHRA and a member of the TCS&CC.
Some photos, compliments of TSC&CC:
The Jolly Miller/Miller Tavern
A picture of the original Jolly Miller and the current picture of the Miller Tavern:
History and Tradition of Loretto Abbey
“Women should and can provide something more than ordinary in the face of the common need” Mary Ward, Founder IBVM
The history of Loretto Abbey lies deep in the history of Toronto. The Abbey, a school for girls, was established by the religious of the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, better known as the Loretto Sisters. The Institute, which has a long tradition in education, was founded for that purpose early in the 17th century by an English woman, Mary Ward. Mary Ward has been described by Pope Pius XII as “that incomparable woman given to the Church by England in its most somber and bloodstained hours”.
On September 16, 1847, there came from Loretto Abbey, Rathfarmham, Ireland, at the invitation of the first Bishop of Toronto, the Most Reverend Michael Power, five young missionary sisters, all in their 20s, who would be the first religious teachers in the newly formed diocese. A house was secured for the community on the north side of Duke Street and a school was opened on September 29th. The school was planned on the model the sisters had known and Bishop Power had admired at Loretto Abbey, Rathfarmham. The school was moved in 1853 to a three-story frame building between King and Adelaide Streets on Bathurst Street. Later the school was moved to a new building on Bond Street. By 1860 the number of pupils who had attended Loretto House was more than 1,500.
In February 1867 the Loretto Sisters purchased Lyndhurst, an interesting property on Wellington Street West. The house had been built around 1835 by the Attorney-General Robert Jameson, for his English bride. After Mrs. Jameson returned to England, the house was sold to Frederick Widder of the Canada Company, who named it Lyndhurst, and who entertained many distinguished guests in it including in 1860, the Prince of Wales, later Edward VII. The house was enlarged to meet the needs of the school and the name Loretto Abbey was given as in Ireland.
For many years the Abbey was a private grammar and finishing school following a pattern distinctive to the Loretto tradition. Toronto was growing rapidly. The once beautiful residential district bordering the lake in the vicinity of Wellington Place, was fast becoming industrialized and quite unsuitable for a girls’ school. Property was acquired in North York just beyond the city limits.
On Sunday, May 22, 1927, the cornerstone was laid and in September 1928, the impressive Tudor Gothic building of cut stone, the new Abbey, opened its doors to more than 100 boarders and as many day students. In 1986, Loretto Abbey High School became a member of the Metropolitan Separate School Board (now Toronto Catholic District School Board) family of schools.
Toronto Historical Maps Online
If you ever toiled away at researching the history of your neighbourhood the City’s historical maps are generally the first place you look. And it has just been made easier—Nathan Ng has put together a website of the City’s historical maps that is easy to use and navigate. The Toronto Star Article featuring Nathan Ng who compiled the historical maps is provided below:
Online Toronto maps project puts the history of familiar streets a click away
The direct links to the collection of historical maps are provided below for your reference:
Blog: Historical Maps of Toronto
Post: Explore Toronto’s past through maps…
Historical Presentations at the 2011 Jane’s Walk on Hoggs Hollow
On May 7, 2011, The North York Historical Society teamed with the Don Watershed Regeneration Council to present an overview of the history of Hoggs Hollow as part of the Jane’s Walk program organized by SAHRA. Glenn Bonnetta covered the historical setting from the arrival of settlers to the present, whereas Peter Heinz focussed on the environmental scene from the last Ice Age with a glimpse into the future.
A summary of Peter Heinz’s presentation:
A summary of Glenn Bonnetta’s comments:
Several participants requested further information relating to life within the Don Watershed. Peter has submitted a link to the TRCA’s Walk the Don site which contains links to other organizations working to better conditions within the Don. http://trca.on.ca/protect/watersheds/don-river/walk-the-don.dot .